Pages

Friday 4 April 2014

Korean Rice Cakes



I had never tried making any Korean dishes but my sister who loves Korean food had made this dish for me once. It was delicious but not really to my son's palate as the ingredients used were not what he likes to eat (my fussy eater....sigh!). So I did not try replicating the dish myself.

However, was grocery shopping the other day and saw the shop selling the rice cakes and the ready-made sauce. So I begin thinking maybe I should try doing the dish and change it to fit my son's preferences.

End results, he was rather happy with the dish but he commented that the rice cakes are quite chewy. (Which is typical of this dish). Well, at least the fussy king ate the whole plate so I am satisfied! Now I have another dish to keep the variety in the menu!

The picture below shows the sauce that I had used. I'm sure there are many other brands out there, but I'm just sharing the one I used.



Here's the recipe...


Korean Rice Cakes Serves 3 - 4

1 packet of Korean Rice Cakes
1 packet Topokki sauce (spicy & sweet sauce)
8 - 10 shitake mushrooms, sliced
1/2 carrot, sliced thinly
4 hotdogs, sliced diagonally
5 imitation crab stick, cut into small pieces
1 - 2 cups water
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 egg
1 tbsp. cooking oil


Directions

In a large wok or frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic until fragrant.

Add carrots and stir-fry for a min.

Add 1 cup of water and the Topokki sauce. Bring to boil.

Add in the Korean Rice Cakes and simmer on low heat until the rice cakes softens. (approx. 10 mins)

Add in the hotdogs, mushrooms and crab sticks. Stir and continue cooking on low heat for another 10 - 15 mins. Add some more water if necessary.

Add egg and turn heat off. Stir the egg in well and let the remaining heat cook the egg.

Serve while hot.



A very easy and fast dish that is so delicious. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment