Pages

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Shogayaki (Pork Slices in Ginger Sauce)


My children always prefer to chicken over the red meats, but I wanted them to "open up" to other food options so I decided to try make this dish for them. My children always loved Japanese food and this is one of the common Japanese dishes you can see in restaurants or Japanese stalls in food courts.

As the hub likes onions, I added lots of onions to it. For this round, I'm using a store-bought sauce for the dish which I bought from Daiso. Cheap and nice. One of my most preferred store-bought sauce for meats.


I added extra grated ginger to enhance the taste but this is entirely optional and you can leave the grated ginger out if you don't want so much heat in the dish.

In addition, I did not have enough time to slice the meat so I bought pre-sliced pork meat.



This dish of sweet and tender pork slices goes perfectly well with a bowl of steaming hot rice and is wonderful to warm up the body on a cool evening.

Here's the recipe...



Shogayaki (Pork Slices in Ginger Sauce) (Serves 4 - 5)

300g sliced pork belly Sukiyaki meat
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp grated ginger (any juice that comes out when grated also add in)
7 tbsp ginger sauce (bought from Daiso)


Directions

Marinate the meat with 1 tbsp of the ginger sauce for about 10 mins. Meanwhile

In a heated frying pan, fry the garlic and onion until fragrant.


Add in the pork and grated ginger. Stir-fry for a while until meat is almost cooked. As meat is very thinly sliced, do take note not to overcook it.


Add in the remaining ginger sauce and stir to mix well. Lower the fire to medium low and let meat simmer until fully cooked and has absorb the flavour from the sauce. If sauce is not enough, add a little hot water, 1 tablespoon at a time until desired amount of sauce. Do not add too much as it will dilute the flavour.

Best served hot with rice.


My children surprisingly loved the dish and my elder son, who detest pork, ask me to cook this dish again. A simple and fast dish that the whole family will love!


Happy cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment